THE 4th KARLOVAC INTERNATIONAL PIANO COMPETITION
A decision of including a piano competition in our festival came from the intention to stimulate a more engaging and effective learning incentive. Besides the basic, educational nature of our program, we believe that this competitive tryout will encourage young pianists for greater improvements. At the same time, our essential goal is to cultivate a supportive and collegial atmosphere as much as possible unaffected by contesting tensions. Furthermore, the festival's essential aim is to nurture a judging system which will promote strictly fair evaluations/scoring, based on interpretational qualities and not affected by any non-musical aspects. Jury will not make any disparity between competitors who DO or DO NOT actively participate in the summer school.
Silvije Vidovic, Artistic Director
Click HERE to access detailed LIST OF SEMI-FINALISTS, REPETOIRE, and the COMPETITION PERFORMANCE SCHEDULE (will be available in the beginning of July 2017)
APPLICATION & RULES
• The 4th Karlovac International Piano Competition will be held in Karlovac Music School (Karlovac, Croatia) from 14th of July, 2017 (semi-final round) until 15th of July, 2017 (final round).
• The semi-final round will be held at Karlovac Music School recital hall, and the final round will take place in Zorin-dom Theatre, Karlovac.
• Competition is open to all pianists born between 1st of January 1979 and 31st of December 1999.
• Competition is open for all nationalities.
• Festival participants who are taking lessons with our faculty, and also wish to participate in the piano competition, are required to independently complete all competition application process.
• Competition-ONLY participants can observe all festival activities or may arrive/register right at the beginning of the competition. Since the semi-final round will start from the morning hours of July 14th, competitors who travel from abroad are advised to arrive to Karlovac by 13th of July, 2017.
• The piano tryout will be scheduled for the morning of July 14th (right before the beginning of semi-final) and potentially in the evening of July 13th. The exact times for performance, tryout, practicing, and warm-ups will be e-mailed to semi-finalists few days before July 14th.
• Application deadline for the competition is 15th of May, 2017. Applicants will receive a confirmation of their acceptance to the semi-final round by 1st of June, 2017 (maximum of approx. 16 pianists will be accepted to the semi-final). Applicants who are not accepted to the semi-final selection, will receive a complete registration fee reimbursement. In case if applied candidate decides to cancel his/her participation in the competition, registration fee will be returned only if the organizer is informed on that matter no latter than 20th of May, 2017 (cancellation needs to be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org).
• The winners’ names will be announced and official prize-giving ceremony will be held on 15th of July, 2017, approx. 40 minutes after the conclusion of the Final Round. The jury’s decision is final, however, all the competitors are encouraged to speak with the jury members afterwards.
As part of pre-screening round, competition participants are required to send an un-edited video recording in minimum of 10 minutes. The video recording needs to be sent as an Internet link such as Youtube video, Dropbox link, or similar (you will be able to paste Internet link(s) in the competition application form bellow). You may provide us with two links if your pieces are recorded/posted separately. This recording selection should consist of 2 contrasting pieces. One of the works should be a bigger scale composition from standard piano literature (such as Chopin's ballade, a single movement from Beethoven's piano sonata...), and the other work should be of virtuosic character (such as Chopin's etude, Liszt's transcendental etude, Rachmaninoff's Etude-tableaux...).
Deposit competition registration fee (click HERE for bank info):
90 Euros (if you will be also participating in our summer piano school, the competition registration fee needs to be deposited regardless of your summer school registration fee)
Send a copy of deposit payment proof to: email@example.com
Filled out competition application form (bellow)
A recent portrait photo of higher resolution (desirable formats: jpg., gif., png., pdf.), sent as an attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org
A copy of passport photo page (send it as attachment to: email@example.com). This is not required for the citizens of the Republic of Croatia.
For a full consideration, all the above requirements should be received by 15th of May, 2017
15-17 minutes of memorized performance
Required work - Drmleč iz Medjimurja by Josip Štolcer-Slavenski - approx. duration 2'30'' (click HERE for music sheet)
One virtuosic etude (by Chopin, Liszt, Rachmaninoff...)
Additional piano work(s) of free choice. We strongly advise a selection from standard piano literature (written before 1940). Be concern that the total duration of the semi-final program does not exceeds 17 minutes (required work included) - please include the exact timings within your program selection
Competitors are allowed to perform the works from their pre-screening selection
Approximately 4 pianists will advance to the Final round
20-22 minutes of memorized performance
The repertoire for the final round is free choice, however, competitors need to perform at least one larger work from the standard Romantic piano literature in minimum of 10 minutes. Major works from the early 20th century are also adequate (such as Russian composers, Impressionism, Spanish composers...) Single movement or few movements from a cyclic work is acceptable.
Competitors are not allowed to perform the works from the semi-final round
We advise you to choose your program as much as based on the regulations noted above. Your selection of pieces may possible affect your acceptance to the semi-final, as well as success during the competition itself. Please feel free to contact us if you have any doubts or questions on that matter.
First prize - 1.200 Euros
Second prize - 600 Euros
Third prize - 300 Euros
Audience award (Final round) - 100 Euros
A piano recital at the opening of Karlovac Piano Festival 2018 (mid-July) - paid travel expenses up to 200 Euros and accommodation for two days
• Dang Thai Son, Vladimir Viardo, Silvije Vidovic (jury president)
APPLICATION FORM - 2017 PIANO COMPETITION
(required fields are marked with*)
For any other inquires don't hesitate to get in touch with us through our contact info.
- Bank deposit info:
Name and address of the beneficiary: Glazbena Skola, Augusta Cesarca 3, 47000 Karlovac, Croatia
Beneficiary's account number/IBAN: HR1224000081190241348
Account with (bank): Karlovačka Banka d.d. Karlovac, Croatia
Bank address: Ul. Ivana Gorana Kovačića 1, 47000, Karlovac, Croatia
Bank phone: +385 47 417 371
Payment order should include:
- Full details of the ordering customer (name, address, country and account number/IBAN)
- Full details of the beneficiary (name, address, country and account number/IBAN)
* If you experience any issues with bank transfer to above noted account, please contact us via e-mail or contact page and we will provide you with another bank account or Paypal account as an alternative deposit option.